Friday, April 6, 2012

Thoughts

Today I've been thinking and reading a lot about Romania. I thought I would just blog about my experience on my other blog, but I decided that it deserves it's own little space on the WWW. It's going to be incredible and unlike anything I've ever done. I am so excited.

I also didn't think that I'd be starting this until I got to Iasi, but I realized it might be more manageable to set it all up while my internet is still in English and such. Plus, I am not very good about writing consistently because I struggle with writing in general - essays, journaling, blogging, love letters (shout out to all my old boyfriends), etc... you get the point. So I want to make it as easy as possible to post here while I'm in Romania. I'm hoping that I can write something at least 5 days of the week with lots of pictures, because let's be honest, that's all people look at on blogs (you're probably about ready to stop reading because there hasn't been a picture yet, right?). The writing will more be for me to remember my experience. And I'm sure my mom will appreciate any info I have to share about everyday stuff (Hi, Mom).

For all you who don't speak Romanian (it's ok, I'm still in this category), my blog title, "El face lucrurile slabe sa devina puternice..." means "He makes weak things to become strong," (approximately). I have been looking for a scripture to really keep in mind while I prepare for Romania and while I'm there, and Ether 12:27 was on my mind all day yesterday and today.

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

I think it's so applicable to what I'm about to face. I know very little of the language. I am not trained to work with disabled individuals or children. I have never been to Romania or Europe in general. I tend to get very anxious about the unknown and this definitely qualifies. In essence, I have only the slightest inclination of what I'm doing. I feel very weak and unqualified and unprepared for the journey ahead.

However, just as Ether 12 says, I don't have to be strong in everything. If I bring my weaknesses to the Lord, he will make them my strengths. I have tried and tested this and it works. I may have many weaknesses, but I also have strengths that Heavenly Father has already helped shaped within me. I have the experience of doing hard things in the past so I know I can do this too. I have a talent and love for working with kids that will likely translate despite language and cultural barriers. I know how to rely on the Lord in hard times and have that relationship to lean on in a far away place where I will probably feel completely alone sometimes. I am confident that because of these strengths and as I bring my weaknesses to the Lord to strengthen, this experience in Romania will be positive and forever change my life.

Optspe zile pana cand plec in romania! (18 days until I leave for Romania!)
La revedere!

No comments:

Post a Comment